Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 19, 2010

BCP-The Fifth Sunday in Lent - Judica

Gospels of Henry the Lion, 1175-88, German Miniaturist, Illumination on parchment, Herzog-August-Bibliothek, Wolfenbuttel

The Collect

We beseech thee Almighty God, mercifully to look upon thy people; that by thy great goodness they may be governed and preserved evermore both in body and soul; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The Epistle [Heb. 9

Christ being an high priest of good things to come, came by a greater and a more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, and found eternal redemption. For if the blood of oxen and of goats, and the ashes of a young cow, when it is sprinkled, purifieth the unclean, as touching the purifying of the flesh how much more shall the blood of Christ (which through the eternal Spirit, offered himself without spot to God)purge your conscience from dead works, for to serve the living God? And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that through death, which chanced for the redemption of those transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Follow this link to a sermon by Martin Luther on this text. http://www.lectionarycentral.com/lent5/LutherEpistle.html


The Gospel [John 8

Which of you can rebuke me of sin? If I say the truth why do ye not believe me? He that is of God, heareth God's words. Ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. Then answered the Jews, and said unto him Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan and hast the devil? Jesus answered, I have not the devil but I honor my Father, and ye have dishonored me. I seek not mine own praise; there is one that seeketh and judgeth. Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Art thou greater than our father Abraham which is dead? And the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? Jesus answered, If I honor my self mine honor is nothing. It is my Father that honoreth me, which ye say is your God, and yet ye have not known him; but I know hin. And if I say I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you. But I know him and keep his saying. Your father Abraham was glad to see my day, and he saw it and rejoiced. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty year old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ere Abraham was born, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at him, but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple.

For a sermon by Martin Luther on this text go to http://www.lectionarycentral.com/lent5/LutherGospel.html

No comments:

Post a Comment